Goals of the University:
ZAOU founders envisaged the establishment of a private university that would:-
- Respond to the need for upgrading teachers’ qualifications, teacher supply, provide training, research, and contribute to community service.
- Provide quality and relevant teacher education that would respond to the professional needs of the country while embracing the requirements of the profession in universities around the world.
- Respond to demands for training in other areas.
- To provide teacher education at university level to school leavers, and serving teachers through distance learning using print and electronic media.
- To meet increased demand for professional education in the fields of law and other Social Sciences.
- To fill any other gaps in the provision of university education not adequately met by other universities.
Strategies of the University:
In order to achieve its objectives, ZAOU adopted a programmatic focus in accordance with government policy embodied in the document “Educating our Future” (MOE, 1996) which recognizes the need for co-operation between the Ministry of Education and other partners, both internal and external.